Once you have received an apartment offer from the Hingham Housing Authority, there are still several steps to take before you are settled in your new home. When an apartment is available, you will receive a letter and a telephone call from the Property Manager. You will have several days to schedule an appointment to view your new apartment and decide if you want to accept it. When you view the apartment, you should identify any maintenance or other concerns and discuss them with the manager. If you choose to accept the apartment, the property manager will arrange for you to sign the lease and receive the keys to your new home. If you choose not to accept the apartment, you must have a “good cause” reason. If you do not have “good cause” to refuse the apartment, you may remove yourself from the waiting list, or you may be placed at the bottom of the waiting list.
If you choose to accept the unit:
- Your lease and other important documents will be created
- An appointment will be made for you to sign your new lease
- You are required to pay for the current month’s rent, or prorated portion
- The rent payment must be in the form of a check or money order.
- After that, your rent will be due on the fourth of every month.
- You will also receive copies of various policies. These policies will be reviewed with you at the lease signing, however, you should ensure you read each policy and understand it fully. It is your obligation to abide by all policies and procedures.
- If you have a pet you are required to register, vaccinate, spay or neuter the pet and pay the pet fee. Please refer to the pet policy for any questions.